Accounting and Finance Apprenticeship
Who we’re looking for
If you’ve just finished school or college, and gained A-levels or BTECs, and you’re not sure that university is for you, then our Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Programme provides you with a chance to take the first step in your career and earn while you learn.
You’ll be part of our Finance and Accounting team within our infrastructure business. You’ll be part of a vital function helping support the wider business so we’re looking for individuals who have a keen eye for numbers, an analytical mind-set and an appetite for challenge.
You will get hands-on experience with the different teams in the department, find out how the Finance and Accounting team operates within Schroders as well as working towards your Professional Accounting qualification.
We’re a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we’ve been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn’t change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We’re close to our clients, in the heart of the UK’s financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role.
You will join as an apprentice as part of the Investment20/20 programme, you will have opportunities to meet and network with trainees across the industry and participate in training, socials and insight events.
The Finance and Accounting department serves a multitude of functions across the group. Some of its key activities include setting finance policies, reporting financial performance, and processing financial transactions to support different business areas across the globe.
More specifically, some of the main areas of the department include providing top-level financial reporting, providing localised management information that helps drive strategy, setting policies around tax and accounting practices, ensuring timely payments of invoices, cash and cost management and billing investment management fees.
What you’ll do
As a Schroders apprentice, you will spend 20% of your time working towards achieving the your Professional Accounting qualification, the rest of your time will be spent working with your team and gaining the skills you need to build your expertise.
Some of the tasks and projects you’ll be involved in are:
- Developing an understanding of what the Finance and Accounting teams do and how the end to end revenue, cash and cost processes operate across the organisation
- Supporting the month end close process including closure of ledgers and production of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Support payment processing, ensuring correct accounting and assist with cash reconciliation.
- Assisting with queries and questions from the business and supporting with administrative duties and ad-hoc requests for analysis
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- Although we usually ask you to have achieved at least 96 UCAS points to be eligible for this role, we appreciate the need to be flexible given the on-going pandemic and disruption to your school/ college life. If you’ve achieved a little under 96 UCAS points in the academic year 20/21, we would still encourage you to apply
- You must be 18 years old by Monday 6th September to apply for the 2021 intake
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Numerate and enjoys problem solving– you’ll have solid numerical skills and a high attention to detail
Ultimately, we can teach what you need to know about the job we just need you to bring your drive, passion and enthusiasm to make the most of the opportunity to start building your career.
What you’ll be like
- You’ll be an enthusiastic self-starter who is eager to learn more about our industry and our business
- A team player with good communication skills and a pro-active approach to getting things done, you’ll love a challenge and are keen to work in an exciting, fast paced environment
- You’ll be flexible and eager to learn and enjoy working with others to get the best results
We’re looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You’re welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.
Please note we recruit on a rolling basis so recommend you apply early.
Start date: Monday 6 September 2021