Apprentice Building Physics Engineer
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and use from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare & research, hotels, industrial & manufacturing, and infrastructure both in the UK and overseas.
Building Physics is a specialist team that sits within our building engineering business line. Our Building Physics engineers support our building engineering and sustainability teams and carry out independent consultancy for a range of clients.
Along with core Dynamic Thermal Modelling (DTM) services assessing plant sizing, compliance with Part L2A of the Building Regulations, our team also carries out LEED and ASHRAE modelling, TM54 energy analysis, daylight modelling, thermal comfort and ventilation modelling, low and zero carbon technologies feasibility studies, and supports the development of mixed use masterplans. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) studies are also undertaken on a wide variety of subjects, pedestrian comfort wind models, natural and mechanical ventilation of buildings and tunnels, and detailed modelling of smoke, fire and water flow.
Examples of projects the Building Physics team are involved in include:
- Thames Tideway – Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) of fluid flow, inspection chambers, gates and vortex analysis)
- Broadway – Dynamic Thermal Modelling (DTM); Planning for site, Part L Building Regulation compliance, domestic and non-domestic, Overheating of apartments, sizing, energy analysis
- Lots Road – CFD Smoke studies of Atrium and cores, atrium ventilation and stratification, DTM Part L Building Regulation compliance, domestic and non-domestic, Overheating of apartments and Atrium, sizing.
- Wood wharf Phase 1 & 2 – DTM, Condensation and U-value calculations, basement thermal strategy, Part L Building Regulation compliance
- Hammersmith Town Hall – DTM, Planning for site, further work on the existing building extension, new office and restaurant, courtyard modelling, Part L Building Regulation compliance
We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for a Building Physics Apprentice / Trainee role within our London – Aldgate office. This is a wonderful opportunity to join our growing team receiving ‘on the job training’ working on a range of projects across the region and beyond whilst being allocated a senior engineer or senior technician who will provide mentoring during the development period.
No experience is necessary but the position is ideally suited to school leavers at A level standard (or equivalent) who can demonstrate:
- At least three A levels at Grades A
- -B including Mathematics and Physics or will have completed a level 3 Apprenticeship BTEC National Diploma in a relevant field.
- A L2 Maths and English qualification (GSCE grade A
- C / new tariff grade 4 or above).
- An aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software.
- An interest in and a desire to pursue a career specifically within Building Engineering / Building Physics.
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail.
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise parts of projects.
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports.
Applicants must be willing to progress their career by undertaking a day release course at a Further Education college to study a relevant course.
Your study will be funded and you will earn an income as a permanent employee of AECOM. Subsequently the expectation is that you would go on to achieve relevant professional qualifications as part of your career development.