We are looking for an apprentice to join our Traffic (Civil) Engineering team in Croydon. AECOM Traffic are focused on developing engineering measures to achieve a safe and efficient movement and interaction of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles on the roads. We are currently involved in a wide range of projects from concept and preliminary design, traffic modelling, through to detailed design and implementation, and we often work alongside other construction professionals in multi-disciplinary teams.
Overall we deliver sustainable cost effective solutions to our clients, whether they are local or national authorities or private developers. Work is often fast paced and requires creativity, tenacity and excellent communication to achieve the right result for our clients whilst respecting the requirements of wider stakeholders and maintaining the highest industry standards.
When an apprentice starts with us we pair them with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Training is arranged on our software engineering tools such as TRANSYT, Linsig, Arcady, Vissim and AutoCad to ensure all our engineers have a full set of design skills. Early work with us will typically include:
- Assisting in developing our designs through the different stages
- Traffic flows
- Road geometry
- Cycle facilities
- Traffic signs
- Pavement engineering
- Traffic signals
- Intelligent transport systems
You will combine work-based on-the-job training and learning with further studies and must be willing to progress your career. After an initial probationary period you must be willing to undertake a day release course at a Further Education College to study a level 3 BTEC in Civil Engineering or a level 6 Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship, with the aim to ultimately achieve Engineering Technician status and subsequently Incorporated Engineer status.
In order to be considered for this position please provide the following:
- CV including details of any work experience, and your education including dates, grades, subjects, and level of qualifications
- Covering letter demonstrating your passion, why you are interested in this position, and how your skills and education/qualifications support your application
No work experience is necessary. This position is ideally suited to school leavers at GCSE or A-Level (or equivalent) who can demonstrate the following:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade ‘C/4’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Three A-Levels (or equivalent) including Maths and a physical science at grade ‘C’ or above – essential for level 6 Degree Apprenticeship
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Demonstrate an interest and a desire to pursue a career in Traffic/Civil Engineering
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports